Renting a vehicle for a self-drive holiday overseas


Renting a vehicle for a self-drive holiday overseas

A self-drive holiday gives you the flexibility to go where you want and explore interesting places you may come across without having to stick to an itinerary.

If you are thinking of renting a vehicle for a holiday in Europe here’s some basic information to help you.

We will need at least a week’s notice if you want to rent so that we can put the vehicle through our workshop to ensure it is in the best possible condition.  The minimum hire period is two days and there is no maximum. All our vehicles are Right-hand drive.

You need to be at least 21 years old to rent a vehicle and, as with all our rentals, we do check how long you have been driving, whether you have driven in the country previously and that your insurance cover is in order.

Robertson’s will arrange Green Card breakdown cover for you.  That means it’s fully comprehensive, covered by the AA and we also only rent cars still under warranty for overseas trips.

In common with other rental companies, we do charge a 25% surcharge on top of normal UK rental fees.  This is to cover the costs in terms of travel and time away from the office should we have to send a member of staff out to wherever you are if you have been involved in a traffic collision or the car has broken down.

We supply the basic, legally-required accident warning kits, such as triangles, but not hi-visibility jackets or breathalyser kits that are a legal requirement in some countries.  However, we can give you advice on what you will need to carry depending on where you are going.

In some countries, the legal requirements on kit you need will vary with the time of year, so, for example, you may need to have snow tyres and snow socks in the winter in some countries.

Robertson’s will do everything possible to ensure you have a safe, legal and enjoyable holiday. Call us to find out more.