J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd is dedicated to protecting its customers privacy and their personal information. This privacy statement explains the processes around what data we collect about you, how it is obtained, what it will be used for and who will access it.
J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd as a data controller is committed to ensuring that all personal information is processed in line with applicable Data Protection Laws, the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS) throughout the information lifecycle – collection to deletion/destruction.
This privacy statement applies to the information held about you that can be used to identify you as an individual, known as personal information. By providing personal information to J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd, you acknowledge that you understand and agree to the terms of this privacy statement and the subsequent processing of your personal information in accordance with this statement.
Providing your personal information
To enable the rental to take place J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd will assess your eligibility. In order to do so, and depending on the type of transaction, we will normally ask for the following:
– Home address
– Contact telephone number
– Email address
– Card payment details
– Date of birth
– Driving licence, and/or DVLA verification code
– ID and address confirmation documents, e.g., passport, utility, or bank statement.
Providing all required information allows for your booking to be processed. Without it, J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd will not authorise the vehicle rental.
In most cases customers’ personal data is collected directly from the customer, however some personal information may be provided to us by a third party or obtained from publicly available sources.
Our vehicles may be equipped with an infotainment system that, if the customer chooses to use, will store certain information. If the customer connects their mobile device via Bluetooth or cable then the infotainment system can store the Bluetooth device name, contacts list, text messages, emails, call logs and any routes or destinations i.e., home/work address.
J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd does not request or require any information to be added to the infotainment by the customer. We will reset the infotainment system back to its original factory settings at the end of the hire before the vehicle’s next rental.
Tracking and other data collected from the vehicle
Certain vehicles may be equipped with devices collecting in-vehicle safety and user experience data, and/or GPS trackers. Please note the devices may routinely be used only for a point in time mileage readings. Geolocation tracking will only be used if there is a reason to believe the customer has broken the terms and conditions of rental agreement, for the detection and prevention of crime, and when the vehicle needs to be retrieved.
In-vehicle safety data and user experience data may be used to support insurance claims.
Sharing information with service providers
Personal information is shared with Third Party service providers to help us fulfil contractual obligations or for J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd legitimate purpose only. J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd may use other companies to act on our behalf, assist us in conducting our business or to perform services for us under our instruction e.g., web hosting, insurance claim management or payment processing. Any Third Party that has access to personal information will maintain appropriate security standards in line with that of J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd’s to protect your personal data and use personal data we provide to them only for the purposes we specify.
Sharing information for protective or legal uses
When we are legally obliged to do so, or when it is in our legitimate interest we may share your personal information as we believe necessary and appropriate, including:
• When legally required to do so, or in response to a legal proceedings;
• For the detection or prevention of crime;
• Under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence;
• To process, handle or otherwise respond to claims for damages, including claims or demands for bodily injury or property damage;
• To respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence;
• To recover our vehicles, equipment or any monies due;
• To enforce the terms of the rental agreement contract;
• To protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our subsidiaries, yours or others;
• To allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
• With the BVRLA to add a customer to the RISC database for ‘bad renters’ where we have a reason to believe the customer has breached the terms of the contract, acted illegally or in any other way that would put J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd or its assets at risk.
Cookies are small text files placed or sent to your computer by a website which collect certain information about you to provide you with a better online experience. In addition, cookies are used to measure usage of various pages on our website to help us make our information more pertinent to your needs and easy for you to access.
To learn more about cookies and how to manage them please visit www.aboutcookies.org or Cookies | ICO
Our website may contain links to third party web sites. We do not monitor or control the information collected when you choose to “click through” links to access these websites.
How your information is stored
Your personal information will be stored in line with J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd Information Security and Records Retention policies. In most cases your data we will only be kept for as long as we have a legal obligation to store it. In some cases, we may choose to keep it for longer (e.g. insurance claims data).
The token allocated to your payment card will be stored for up to 12 months and may be used post rental to cover the cost of missing fuel, damage, or fines incurred during your hire.
Your information – Your choice
Please contact us directly if you wish to:
• Confirm if, how and why your data is being processed;
• Request copies of the information held about you by J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd, known as Subject Access Request;
• Rectify any inaccurate or incomplete data;
• Delete or remove any personal data where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing;
• Restrict the processing of your personal data;
• Complain about the way your data is being processed by J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd;
• Report a data breach;
Post: FAO Data Governance, J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd 26 Magdalen Street, Colchester CO1 2LD
We have strict procedures for disclosure of personal information to prevent any unauthorised access and may ask you to prove your identity before we disclose any information to you.
If you have any concerns regarding processing of your data by J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can address any issues.
You may also choose to direct any information processing complaints to the Information Commissioner’s Office. Information on how to do this is available at www.ico.org.uk/complaints or telephone helpline 0303 123 1113.
J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd is registered with the ICO – reference ZA351897
This privacy statement will be maintained and updated to reflect any changes in J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd’s, processes or any changes to applicable data protection laws that might impact how we manage your personal information. We encourage all users to regularly review this statement to ensure they are always fully aware of how J.D.Robertson & Co.Ltd manages and protects their personal information.